Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Hermione's Purple Beaded Bag


I have been wanting to make an accurate version of Hermione's Beaded Bag for a while now. The books do not lend too much insight into the bag, other than it is small, purple, beaded, and can fit down a sock.


I started by sewing a purple bag (without beads for simplicity's sake). The pattern is free by Sew4Home and called the 8-Pocket Jewelry Pouch. I made my bag using two fat quarters, some twill tape, and a scrap of cotton batting in the base. It was super fun make and very cute bag. Incidentally, my tatting friends pointed out it would make an excellent tatting bag and people actually sell a similar bag for tatting supplies. If you can sew, this is an easy and fast make. The longest part was figuring out how to do a button hole on my machine (Interestingly, I have never used this function before despite having my machine for about 4 years now)!

While I like this bag, I don't think it would fit down a sock easily. It is, however, great for storing necklaces in the 8 pockets and a few cuff bracelets in the middle!



I then decided it may be best to knit a bag. After looking for a pattern and not finding one to my satisfaction, I drafted a pattern and set to work. My Purple Beaded Bag is the result. I feel this is more accurate representation of what Hermione may have carried. I have written up my notes and you can download and make you own bag from my Ravelry store now! I just need to master the Undetectable Extension Charm now and I'll be set!



No comments:

Post a Comment