Sunday, March 18, 2018

Hogwarts at Dusk


I have been enjoying decorating my little one room in a Harry Potter theme lately. After making The Golden Snitch mini quilt, I knew it was time for Hogwarts.

I had bought this fabric ages ago with the plan of making this mini quilt. The background is the blossom colorway of the Enchanted Pines fabric line by McKenna Ryan (this whole line has some amazing background options for applique!). You can probably use any of the other colors, so long as you can still easily see the silhouette you're trying to achieve. I love how blossom looks like a sunset that fades to purple (my favorite color) with stars in the sky. I couldn't have made a more perfect fabric for this!

All I used for this mini quilt was a fat quarter of it. Since the fade joins in the middle, it would be hard to get more than 20 inches or so tall to work with. I did quilt my front, batting, and backing before doing the applique. I didn't want the quilting lines going through the castle and distracting from it. I use Coats and Clarke machine quilting thread in variegated purple for the quilting. I usually don't use variegated threads, but I think it was perfect here.

I then drafted my Hogwarts and hippogriff images and went to town with applique.

---

This is my entry for the 2018 Panatone Quilt Challege in the mini quilt category.

Finished size approximately 18 by 21 inches.

USA

2 comments: