Monday, December 12, 2016

Hooded Car Seat Wrap and Pillowcase


Since there was still no baby by Black Friday, I decided to go take advantage of Jo-Ann's flannel fabric sale. While I don't usually sew with flannel, there are some things that aren't worth using quilting cottons on. And flannel can have such a nice texture for some baby items.


Anyway, I had come across this tutorial for making a hooded car seat wrap. Since baby will be born in winter, I thought this would be a good item to keep her warm while going to and fro the car. I pretty much followed the tutorial exactly, except I bought about 1 1/3 yards of flannel and prewashed it on warm with a color catcher. I wanted the result to be roughly a square before I cut out my pattern. I also left out the batting from the core. Given my climate, two layers of flannel should be good for my needs.


I also tried to pick more modern fabrics for baby. I am not a big fan of pastels, and that seems to be the common baby color options. I loved the dog print I used so much, I decided to make myself a pillowcase to match out of it (it is made the same way as my unicorn pillowcase here)! Hopefully that will make labor and delivery a little more enjoyable with a nicer pillow!


For reference, my car seat/stroller is the Doona in the color storm. I have not used it for baby yet, but it came highly recommended by a friend. It is really neat, because the car-seat has the stroller wheels already built in. I just pop them down and away we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment